Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Construction Closures
Visit WSDOT’s website for a complete list of closures. Closure information changes frequently, so remember to check for updates throughout the week.
- Viaduct reinforcement work will close all lanes of southbound SR 99 between the north end of the Battery Street Tunnel and the West Seattle Bridge at the following times:
- 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly, Sunday, Aug. 12 – the morning of Friday, Aug. 17
- 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 19, Wednesday, Aug. 22, and Thursday, Aug. 23.
Southbound SR 99/Aurora Avenue North long-term lane closure reopens on Aug. 13
- Beginning Monday, Aug. 13 at 5 a.m., the right lane of southbound SR 99 will reopen between Republican and Harrison streets. The lane, along with access to and from southbound SR 99 from nearby side streets, closed in late June to allow crews room to relocate underground utilities in preparation for construction of the SR 99 tunnel’s future north portal.
- Two right lanes of southbound SR 99 between Roy Street and the John Street/Denny Way exit will close from 7 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 12 until 5 a.m. Monday. The Denny Way exit will remain open.
Monday, Aug. 13 – Thursday, Aug. 16
- Sixth Avenue North will be closed between Harrison and Thomas streets from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.
- John Street will be closed between Sixth Avenue North and Taylor Avenue North from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.
Friday, Aug. 17
- Sixth Avenue North will be closed between John and Thomas streets from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Local access will be maintained using Thomas Street.
Sunday, Aug. 19 – the morning of Monday, Aug. 20
- ·Sixth Avenue North will be closed between Harrison and Thomas streets from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Local access will be maintained using Thomas Street.
- The southbound roadway under the viaduct will be closed nightly from Marion Street to Yesler Way, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 12 through the morning of Friday, Aug. 17.
- The right lane of northbound SR 99 between South Hanford Street and South Royal Brougham Way will be closed from 8 p.m., Friday, Aug. 10 through 7 a.m., Saturday morning.
- Current work: The most up-to-date resource for construction related to the Alaskan Way Viaduct replacement.
- Traffic: Real-time conditions on Seattle area highways and many connecting streets.
- Transit: WSDOT funded additional bus service along routes affected by construction.
- Bike/walk: We maintain a safe and reliable path for bicyclists and pedestrians through the construction area.