2020 Inspiration Fund

The Pioneer Square BIA is excited to open the application period for the 2020 Inspiration Fund.

In 2018, the Pioneer Square Business Improvement Area (BIA) granted a total of $10,000 in matches to support two projects including the Pioneer Square Residents’ Council Art Outside the Box program. In 2019, the BIA increased the fund to $20,000, and funded two projects, including a continuation of the Art Outside the Box program and the Pastry Project.

This year, the BIA is matching volunteer hours and/or funding, for community members to implement projects and programs making a positive impact in the Pioneer Square neighborhood. Project goals include celebrating neighborhood diversity, enhancing public spaces, and neighborhood storytelling. The BIA encourages applicants to propose their best and most creative ideas. Potential projects might include work around murals, art, workforce development, alleys, public area improvements, cleanup, experiences, or events.

Grant details

The BIA will accept applications for projects ranging from $1,000-$20,000. 80% will be funded when the grant is awarded. Remaining 20% funded upon completion.  Up to a total of $20,000 will be allocated to 2020 projects.


  • Application posted – May 1, 2020
  • Applications due – May 31, 2020 (11:59 PM)
  • Award Notifications – July 15, 2020
  • Enter into contract – by July 30, 2020 july 30
  • Submit first invoice for payment – by August 15, 2020
  • Submit final invoice for payment upon completion of project

Eligibility & Evaluation

Who is eligible to apply: Business owners; people who work, live, or play in the neighborhood; and those with a significant connection to Pioneer Square. This is a competitive selection process. Submission of an application does not guarantee funding. The Pioneer Square BIA reserves the right to award or decline funding. Final decisions on funding will be subject to approval by the BIA Ratepayer Board.

Factors to be considered in each application may include:

  • The number of people to be positively affected/benefited
  • Maintenance plan
  • Business involvement
  • Cost to experience (is it free/accessible to the general public?)
  • Creativity

Note: BIA Ratepayers must be in good standing to be considered

How to apply

Applications for the 2020 Inspiration Fund are now closed.