Announcing the 2021 Pioneer Square BIA Inspiration Fund Award Recipients
The Pioneer Square BIA is excited to announce the recipients of the 2020 Inspiration Fund!
In 2019, the Pioneer Square Business Improvement Area (BIA) granted a total of $20,000 in matches to support two projects; the Pioneer Square Residents Council for their continuation of the Art Outside the Box project and The Pastry Project pilot program, in partnership with the The London Plane , providing free mentorship and training to people with barriers to education and/or employment in the baking and pastry industry.
In 2020, the BIA funded two more projects making a positive impact in the Pioneer Square neighborhood. The first, by Dan Wilson; Pioneer Square resident and Principal at Olson Kundig, is an installation in Occidental Park of painted metal wind chimes with the phrase “we all play a part” in different languages representing cultural diversity in our neighborhood. The goal of the project, which will be installed in 2021, is to emphasize unity, togetherness, our connectedness to each other, and to nature. The second is a creative story-telling marketing campaign, by Michael Gill of the Central Saloon, centered around individually curated content from artists, businesses, and personalities in the neighborhood. The project presents an opportunity to focus on the connections between businesses and the community they are part of. The campaign will not only create digital assets for businesses, but also include materials that support residents in the neighborhood.
Apply for the 2021 Pioneer Square BIA Inspiration Fund
This year, the BIA is matching volunteer hours and/or funding up to $5,000 for community members to implement projects and programs making a positive impact in the Pioneer Square neighborhood. Project goals include celebrating neighborhood diversity, enhancing public spaces, and neighborhood storytelling. The BIA encourages applicants to propose their best and most creative ideas. Potential projects might include work around murals, art, alleys, workforce development, public area improvements, cleanup or experiences. Collaborate and connect with the community on a creative project!
The BIA will accept applications for projects ranging from $1,000-$5,000. 80% will be funded when the grant is awarded. Remaining 20% funded upon completion. Up to a total of $5,000 will be allocated to 2021 projects.
- Application posted – April 30, 2021
- Applications due – May 31, 2021
- Award Notifications – July 15 2021
- Enter into contract – August 15, 2021
- Submit first invoice for payment – August 15, 2021
- Submit final invoice for payment upon completion of project
Eligibility & Evaluation
Who is eligible to apply: Business owners; people who work, live, or play in the neighborhood; and those with a significant connection to Pioneer Square. This is a competitive selection process. Submission of an application does not guarantee funding. The Pioneer Square BIA reserves the right to award or decline funding. Final decisions on funding will be subject to approval by the BIA Ratepayer Board.
Factors to be considered in each application may include:
- The number of people to be positively affected/benefited
- Maintenance plan
- Business involvement
- Cost to experience (is it free/accessible to the general public?)
Note: BIA Ratepayers must be in good standing to be considered
How to apply
Applicants must submit a completed Application Form with required documentation (if applicable) by email to info@pioneersquare no later than May 31, 2021 at midnight.